The right location for your new home often hinges on the quality of schools in a district. In Fairfax County, parents can relax with the knowledge that Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology continues to achieve excellent rankings:
- Greatschools.org rated TJHHST a perfect “10”, based on schoolwide test scores (in specific subjects as well as standardized tests) in comparison to both national and international scores.
- US News and World Report placed TJHSST as #5 in the United States, #1 among Virginia High Schools, and #3 in STEM High Schools The school received a 100% score in every category: College Readiness, AP Tested, AP Passed, Mathematics Proficiency, English Proficiency, and Graduation Rate.
- Newsweek ranked TJHSST at the top of its 2016 list of “America’s Top High Schools”. The review cited the schoo’ls 100% college readiness and graduation rate, along with its high student retention rate and low counselor-student ratio (1:263).
TTJHSST is a state-chartered magnet school that was founded in 1985 in the Fairfax County Public School District. Approximately 1,800 students between the grades of 9 and 12 benefit from the advanced educational opportunities of the school, which includes an impressive array of research labs:
- Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Automation and Robotics
- Chemical Analysis and Nanochemistry
- Communication Systems
- Computer Systems
- Energy Systems
- Engineering Design
- Life Sciences and Biotechnology
- Mobile and Web Application Development
- Oceanography and Geophysical Systems
- Quantum Physics and Optics
- Prototyping and Engineering Materials
A renovation that began in 2013 is almost complete. TJHSST has been getting a major facelift and additions, including a two-story research lab and upgrades to the auditorium, gyms, library (Global Learning Area), lecture hall, and common areas to accommodate outdoor learning spaces. When the renovation is completed, the school will have expanded from 262,664 square feet to 393,833.
Classic Homes is very passionate about TJHSST and gets involved whenever possible. Starting last year, we’ve began hosting a new parents orientation yearly at the school. We currently are mentoring an intern from TJHSST. Even our own President, Vivek Puri, graduated from TJHSST from the class of 1992!
If you’re thinking about moving to the Fairfax County region of northern Virginia, contact Classic Homes to get the home you want in an area where your children will thrive.